JEREMIAH 31: 31 – 34 speaks about the New Covenant that, God would make with His people. He says, “ I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbour and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”
Today, we who are gathered here on this first day of the ‘Season of Creation’, listen to a ‘Green Covenant’ from God, where He writes 10 Green Commandments with our heart.
- I AM the Lord your God, the Creator, Redeemer and Sustainer of all the creations. Know that you are not to dominate, but to tend and take care of the air, water, earth, plants and animals. You are called to be the priests of my creation.
- KNOW that you are not to be ‘pantheistic’, worshipping any other images or idols, but to be ‘pan-en-theistic’, seeing me in every creation. Respect the integrity of all creations.
- STEAL NOT from the posterity. Remember that you have not inherited the earth from your ancestors, rather borrowed from your Children.
- Teach your generations to worship the Creator and ‘work-ship’ with His creation. They shall toil with their hands, not only to survive but also to sustain each other through mutual inter-dependence.
- REMEMBER that humanity cannot recreate the life that has been destroyed. I have given you limited resources. You have everything for your need, but not for your greed. Learn to care. Learn to share.
- STUDY my Word and commit your lives towards eco-justice, so as to prevent impending catastrophes. Remember, I have taught not only not to kill humans, but also not to cut trees.
- THROW out all arms and technology which cause irreversible destructions of the foundations of life.
- REDUCE, REUSE AND RECYCLE resources, so that the earth and all that in it shall live long.
- FIGHT for the rights of earth, never compromising with the values of the state and empire. I, the Lord am with you.
- REMEMBER that you are not the owner of the land, merely its guardian. You are accountable what I have entrusted you. Be free! But be responsible!
We who are gathered here on this day 1st September 2017 at the EDEN Eco-Spirituality Centre, Othera, for the ‘World Day of Prayer for the Creation’, pledge to honour and obey this ‘Green Covenant’, as we continue to be the Creation of the Creator God. Amen.