Church of South India (CSI) Synod Executive Committee met at the joyous and momentous occasion of the celebration of completing seven decades since the formation of the CSI, the first and biggest united and uniting Indian Church. In the first time of the history of the Church of South India, 24 Bishops in the active service attended the Executive Committee meeting. It was a remarkable incident because never in the recent past, did all dioceses have bishops. Now the CSI has 24 dioceses with the ‘new-born’ Malabar and Kollam-Kottarakkara Dioceses and all the Dioceses have episcopal leadership.
The Executive Committee meeting started off with the opening devotion. After the roll call and constituting the committee meeting, reporting secretaries were appointed. Silence was observed in the memory of the departed souls. The newly appointed Synod Directors; Rev. Maxcin John, Department of Mission and Evangelism and Rev. Dr. Jayachithra L., Department of Christian Education, were introduced to the Executive Committee. The newly-consecrated Bishops - Rt. Rev. S. E. C. Devasahayam, Thoothukudi-Nazareth Diocese, and Rt. Rev. Dr. Oommen George, Kollam-Kottarakkara Diocese, were honoured on the occasion.
The Executive Committee endorsed the programs proposed to be initiated in the 70th year of the CSI:
1) One Church, one Web – Inauguration of the official common website of the Church of South India Synod Secretariat and the 24 dioceses
2) Regional Synods (Koinonia)
3) 7 Consultations on Re-thinking Ecclesia
4) Formation of Bible study groups commemorating the 500 years of Reformation
5) Youth DARE to DREAM program – Sharing through borderless witness and service.